Carn Brea Trail 5 - Pool Trail

The Pool Trail starts at Trevenson Church before going through Pool village centre, which offers facilities for food and drink.  The Trail demonstrates the rich social history of Pool, all within an accessible distance.

Address: Church Rd, Pool, Redruth

Lat: N 50° 22′ 99.40″
Long: W 5° 27′ 28.47″

OS Grid Ref: SW 66678 41787

Distance: 2 miles

Terrain: Easy

Facilities available for this trail:

Parking – Parking at Church Road, Redruth.

Picnic areas – tno suitable places along the route.

Eating and shopping – a number of shops in Pool.

Public houses – The Plume of Feathers, Pool – marked on map

Accessibility

Family and children friendly – the route is very family friendly.

Cycle Trail – short trail to walk.

Horse Riding Trail – not suitable.

Walking Trail – an easy trail.

Disability access – easy with small scooter.

2017-03-08

Carn Brea Trail 5

  • Author: Administrator
  • Created: 8th March 2017
  • Updated: 1st May 2017
Route type: Cycling/Walking Trail
Difficulty grade: Easy
Disabled Friendly: Small Scooters
  • Distance 2 miles
  • Time 47 min
  • Speed 2 mph
  • Min altitude 282 ft
  • Peak 364 ft
  • Climb 102 ft
  • Descent 102 ft

Copy the following HTML iframe code to your website:

  • Distance Instructions
Label

Points of Interest

SITE OF LITTLE HAVEN

Private Property. First Free Methodist Chapel in Pool, built by 1858, before they secured the site in Carn Brea Lane to build St. Martin’s in 1862.

Location: SW6693 4157

BOUNDARY MARKER

Fore Street. B/TBV. B probably refers to Basset and TBV to a Vyvyan, marking the western extent of Basset Land.

Location: SW6697 4148

 

SIR EDWARD NICHOLL 1862-1939

Private Property. MP, ship-owner, engineer, inventor and local philanthropist was born at 4 Fore Street, Pool, (originally 4 Agar Terrace.) He was knighted in 1916 and elected MP for Penryn and Falmouth in 1918. He
donated £5000 to the Miner’s Hospital and land for playgrounds at Foundry Row, Redruth.

Location: SW6720 4158

 

MILESTONE

The 17th Century milestone of the Great Western Road shows 16P/26L – 16 miles to Penzance and 26 miles to Lands End. The terminal stone at Penzance is marked – P/16/87. 1687 was 21 years after the Great Fire of London and 1 year before the imprisonment and acquittal of Bishop Trelawney.

Location: SW6715 4155

BOUNDARY MARKER, Agar Road

B/C, 250m from Fore Street stone and probably marks the north/south boundary between Basset and Clifden land. The Manor of Treloweth came into possession of the Robartes family of Lanhydrock by 1633 by marriage into the Basset family. Anna Maria Hunt married Mr. Agar, brother of Lord Clifden to become Anna Marie Agar.

Location: SW6723 4159

CARN BREA WORKS

Private Property. Built steam engines for Brunel’s Great Western Railway.

Location: SW6752 4109

BRUNTON & CO SAFETY FUSE WORKS

Private Property. Circa 1880, also called the Penhelleck Factory. William Brunton was an engineer and inventor.

Location: SW6713 4122.

TREVITHICK MEMORIAL

Marks the birthplace of Richard Trevithick 1771 – 1833 pioneer of the high pressure engine and the first self-propelled passenger carrying vehicle.

Location: SW6698 4126

TREVENSON HOUSE

Private Property. Was the residence of the stewards of the Basset Estate. The original house was said to have been built around 1662. Thomas Kevill, Steward to Lord de Dunstanville, rebuilt the house on an improved plan
in 1797. It was still further improved by his successor in the stewardship, Mr. Reynolds.

Location: SW6642 4163