Carn Brea Trail 3 - Four Lanes Trail

The Four Lanes Trail passes two pubs and takes in the usual village sites, church, chapel, Sunday School and smithy as well as the unusual – a hull.

Address: Trekye Close, Four Lanes

Lat: N 50° 20′ 32.27″
Long: W -5° 23′ 13.60″

OS Grid Ref: SW 69166 38703

Distance: under a mile

Terrain: Easy

Facilities available for this trail:

Parking – Parking at Trekye Close.

Picnic areas – there is the odd place to stop.

Eating and shopping – village Post Office.

Public houses – family friendly pub the Victoria Inn and The Sportsmans Arms – marked on map


Family and children friendly – the route is very family friendly.

Cycle Trail – short trail to cycle or walk.

Horse Riding Trail – not really suitable.

Walking Trail – an easy trail.

Disability access – easy for small scooter.

8th March 2017 12:54 pm

Carn Brea Trail 3

  • Author: Administrator
  • Created: 8th March 2017 12:54 pm
  • Updated: 1st May 2017 12:58 pm
Route type: Cycling/Walking Trail
Difficulty grade: Easy
Disabled Friendly: Small Scooters
  • Distance 5003 ft
  • Time 25 min
  • Speed 2 mph
  • Min altitude 686 ft
  • Peak 745 ft
  • Climb 66 ft
  • Descent 16 ft

Copy the following HTML iframe code to your website:

  • Distance Instructions

Point of Interest

Four Lanes UMFC Smithy and Inn

The UMFC original chapel was built in 1856 but damaged by a storm around 1966. The present chapel occupies the Sunday School building of 1884.

The Smithy now private property. Stood between the corner shop and the Institute. On the 1880 OS map the smithy is beside the Victoria Inn but by 1907 it is on the opposite side of the road, beside the corner shop.

Four Lanes Inn now Victoria Inn – Roundhead soldiers en-route to attack the Royalist garrison at St. Michael’s Mount circa 1644 were allegedly murdered by locals and the bodies buried in a bog.

Location: SW 6902 3865

Loscombe Farm, Loscombe lane hull and well

Private property. In the hull there are four chambers hewn out of granite at the bottom of a flight of granite steps. In the 1930’s the farmer’s wife stored her butter in it when the summers were hot and the son would show magic lantern slide shows to his friends. In the 1950’s-60’s the hull was used to grow mushrooms. The well is approx. 47ft/14.3m deep with 8ft/ 2.4m of water. Reputed never to run dry. SW 6875 3845

St Andrews church

The church was consecrated in 1881. Mother Maria Charlotte Broadley 1806- 1882 was Foundress, Benefactress and First Patron. When Chili Road Chapel closed in 1973, the organ Thomas Merritt was believed to have used to compose many of his well loved carols, was bought by St. Andrews.

Location: SW 6875 383


Forest Sunday school

Private property. Date Stone 1882. The first Forest Wesleyan Chapel was built where the Sunday School now stands. It was constructed of cob and thatch. The land was leased from the Basset family. A new chapel was built on its present site in 1881 at a cost of £1,100, with a new lease, again from the Basset family. The original  chapel was demolished in 1882 and the Sunday School built. SW 6838 378